IC&RC Reciprocity

Reciprocity Into MCBAP

Reciprocity Into MCBAP

IC&RC is the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium. MCBAP is a member of the IC&RC network of certification boards.

Addiction professionals internationally certified by an IC&RC member board who relocate to Michigan may transfer their credential to MCBAP using the reciprocity process. To begin, certified addiction professionals must contact their current credentialing board and request a reciprocity/transfer application. Upon completion of the reciprocity application by both the certified addiction professional and the current credentialing board, and upon receipt of this information by MCBAP, the certified addiction professional will then be issued the equivalent credential offered in Michigan by MCBAP.

IC&RC Logo

Reciprocity Out of MCBAP

IC&RC-level addiction professionals certified by MCBAP who relocate to another state, nation or other jurisdiction supported by another IC&RC member board, may transfer their credential to the new jurisdiction using the reciprocity process. Reciprocity to a non-IC&RC member board is not supported. Additional requirements may be imposed upon the certified addiction professional depending on the laws, regulations, and rules governing the practice of addiction related services in the new jurisdiction. Therefore, certified professionals are strongly encouraged to contact the IC&RC member board in the new jurisdiction to determine if any additional requirements must be met. To begin the process, certified professionals must contact MCBAP and request a reciprocity/transfer application. Upon completion of the application by both the certified addiction professional and MCBAP, and upon receipt of this information by the certification board in the new jurisdiction, the professional will then be issued the equivalent credential offered in the new jurisdiction unless laws or regulations governing the practice of addiction related services in the new jurisdiction must first be met. Credential naming may vary from one board to another.

Please note that “-M” credentials (Michigan-only) issued by MCBAP are not transferable to other jurisdictions. Contact MCBAP for information on how to upgrade a “-M” credential to the IC&RC level.

Separate IC&RC Credential Certificates

As of July 1, 2012; IC&RC no longer issues separate certificate documents for those who hold IC&RC reciprocal credentials. Certificates issued by MCBAP for qualifying professionals will have the IC&RC reciprocal gold seal, along with the MCBAP seal. However, if you wish to also have the separate IC&RC certificate, MCBAP will issue it to you at the cost of $25 each. Click the link below for a copy of the IC&RC certificate order form.

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Reciprocity:

Can I reciprocate my credential to any board?

Your credential is reciprocal only with boards that offer an equivalent credential. For example, if you hold a Prevention Specialist credential from Pennsylvania and you want to reciprocate that credential to Nebraska, you would be unable to do so because Nebraska does not offer the Prevention Specialist credential.

When should I begin the reciprocity process –before I move into my new jurisdiction or after?

It is best to start the process prior to moving into your new jurisdiction. That way if there are any delays in processing your application, it should be completed before you begin to work in your new jurisdiction. Waiting until after you move could result in a delay in starting new employment.

Can I maintain my credential in more than one jurisdiction?

Yes, you are permitted to maintain your credential in more than one jurisdiction. You will be required to meet the recertification criteria in each jurisdiction.

When I reciprocate to a new jurisdiction, will my current expiration date on my credential change?

No, your new jurisdiction is required to provide you with the same expiration date that appears on your current certificate.

Is there ever a time when I could be denied reciprocity into a new jurisdiction?

It is the right of every jurisdiction to determine who is or is not eligible for reciprocity. Often boards will require additional standards outside of IC&RC’s reciprocity procedure that must be met before a reciprocity is approved. It is critical that you check with your new jurisdiction before reciprocating to determine your eligibility.

How long does the reciprocity process take?

Typically, reciprocities are finalized within 6-8weeks of completing your Reciprocity Application. IC&RC will contact you once your application has been processed and forwarded to your desired board.

If my credential has expired in my current jurisdiction, can I still reciprocate into a new jurisdiction?

No, your credential must be current and valid in order to reciprocate. If your credential has lapsed, you must successfully recertify prior to applying for reciprocity. In order to avoid credentials expiring during the reciprocity process, credentials must be valid for a minimum remainder of at least 60 days at the time of application.

If I hold a license rather than a certification, will I receive a license from my new jurisdiction?

Not necessarily. You will receive what is deemed as the equivalent in your new jurisdiction. Please contact the IC&RC affiliated board in your new jurisdiction to determine that equivalency. Contact information for all affiliated boards can be found HERE.

What are the differences between certification and licensure?

While these terms are used interchangeably, there are differences between the two concepts.

Certification is a process by which a non-governmental organization grants recognition to an individual who has met predetermined qualifications and has demonstrated a level of knowledge and skill required in a profession specified by that organization. Certification is typically a voluntary process but can be a mandatory in some jurisdictions.

Licensure is a governmental grant of legal authority, pursuant to that government’s power, to practice a profession within a particular scope of practice. Under a licensure system, a government will define by statute the tasks and function or scope of practice of a profession and these tasks may be legally performed only by those holding that license. Confusion between certification and licensure arises because many jurisdictions call their licensure processes “certification,” particularly when they incorporate the standards and requirements of private certifying bodies in their licensing statutes and require that an individual be certified in order to have jurisdictional authorization to practice.