Reporting Ethical Problems
The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals requires all certified individuals to sign and adhere to a current Code of Ethical Conduct. Any person aware of an ethical violation by a certified substance use disorder professional has the right to file a formal Ethical Complaint against the individual.
Procedures for Filing Ethical Complaints
A person wishing to file a complaint against a certified substance use disorder professional should:
- Verify that the individual holds a MCBAP credential by going here: Find a Professional
- Read the Guide for Ethical Standards Violation Complaints
- Review the code of ethics for the appropriate credential to determine which standard has been violated. Those can be found here:
• CADC, CAADC and CCJP: https://mcbap.com/counselors-criminal-justice-code-of-ethics/
• CPS and CPC: https://mcbap.com/prevention-code-of-ethics/
• CCS: https://mcbap.com/supervisor-code-of-ethics/
• CPRM: https://mcbap.com/peer-recovery-code-of-ethics/
- Complete the form at this link https://mcbap.com/ethics-complaint-form/
If you have any questions about this process, please contact email@example.com.
Related Licensing Complaints
Complaints regarding a licensed substance use disorder service program or facility, or regarding a licensed health professional holding a State of Michigan issued license may be filed with Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (MiLARA), also. Information is available online at: www.michigan.gov/lara or call 1-800-882-6006. Some examples of State of Michigan issued licenses are: LMSW, LPC, LLP, LMFT.
Recipient Rights Complaints
Substance use disorder service clients hold protected Recipient Rights, under State of Michigan law. Recipient Rights complaints should be filed locally, at the service program or through the regional substance use disorder service coordinating agency or other designated regional entity. Contact Bureau of Health Professions for information on Substance Abuse service Recipient Rights complaints, or call 517-241-1970.