Filing an Ethics Complaint

Reporting Ethical Problems

The Michigan Certification Board for Addiction Professionals (MCBAP) requires all certified individuals to sign and adhere to a current Code of Ethical Conduct.

Any person aware of an ethical violation by a certified substance use disorder professional has the right to file a formal Ethical Complaint against the individual.


Procedures for Filing Ethical Complaints

A person wishing to file a complaint against a certified substance use disorder professional should:

  1. Verify that the individual holds a MCBAP credential by going here to our Find a Professional link: Find a Professional
  2. Read the Guide for Ethical Standards Violation Complaints
  3. Review the code of ethics for the appropriate credential to determine which standard has been violated. Those can be found here:
    CADC and CAADC:
    • CCJP:
    • CPS and CPC:
    • CCS:
  4.  Complete the form at this link

If you have any questions about this process, please contact


Related Licensing Complaints

Complaints regarding a licensed substance use disorder service program or facility, or regarding a licensed health professional holding a State of Michigan issued license may be filed with Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) also.

Information is available online at: or by calling 1-800-882-6006.

Some examples of State of Michigan issued licenses are: LMSW, LPC, LLP, LMFT.


Recipient Rights Complaints

For Recipient Rights Complaints, please contact:

Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA)

Bureau of Survey & Certification – Complaint Intake Section

PO Box 30838

Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 800-882-6006